Refutation on Nouman Ali Khan

Author: Shaikh Dr. R. K. Noor (Peace TV) [1]

Source: The Clear Path (from the original Urdu)
Translator: Dr. M.A. Hussain

Published: Saturday 11th July, 2015

Question: Is Nouman Ali Khan, the popular English speaker, a follower of Qur'aan and Sunnah or not? And should people with correct Aqeedah listen to him or not?

Answer:

All Praise is due to Allaah and may the peace and blessings be upon the messenger of Allaah and upon his family and Companions and those who do ittiba' of them in goodness until the Day of Judgement.

Nouman Ali Khan is a non Salafi, Sufi da'ee. From his programs, and his attachment to Sufi personalities, it becomes clear that he is not Salafi. And those people upon the correct Aqeedah should stay far away from, and not listen to the talks of such people who don't know what Aqeedah is, and in fact make fun of it.

Number 1: In one talk he said "Did Allaah give great importance to where is Allaah? People ask where is Allaah? Did Allaah ask this question? Did the Messenger of Allaah sallAllaahu alaihi wa sallam ask this question? Did the Sahabah ask it?" (Shaikh provides YouTube url).

Whereas in the hadeeth of Saheeh Muslim (no. 1227) the noble Prophet sallAllaahu alaihi wa sallam asked a slave girl "where is Allaah?" When he was trying to ascertain whether she has Imaan. To which she answered that Allaah is above the heavens.

Number 2: He says that someone asked him if we can celebrate the birthday of the Prophet sallAllaahu alaihi wa sallam? He says “I replied that I have no opinion on this. This is not some important issue. Important issues are that today's youth are using drugs and leaving Islam. You are putting so much effort into is this halal or haram, is this bid'ah or sunnah?” (Shaikh provides YouTube url)

If we don't differentiate between sunnah and bid'ah then which Islam is correct or incorrect? The sin of bid'ah is worse than the sins like stealing, consuming intoxicants etc. This is because the person of innovation does it thinking it to be sunnah. Whereas the alcoholic drinks alcohol knowing it to be a sin and tries to repent from it.

Number 3: He said in his tafseer of Soorah Yasin that a woman came up to him in Kuwait after a talk and said to him. "You should tell the people about this book, and you should teach the correct Aqeedah, Ruboobiyyah, Uloohiyyah, Asma wa Sifaat, so that people can know the correct Aqeedah.”

And he says I said “thank you, is this book the Qur'aan? Is it a Soorah? She replied it contains such and such topics, it mentions the sects, people do a lot of shirk because they do not know the correct Aqeedah.... I felt as if I'm a mushrik as well. Then she asked don't you know this stuff? I said “No”. She then asked don't you want to know about it? I said “No, I don't want to know either...".”

Then he went on to say in refutation of this, "I thought I'll try to find out where Allaah has talked about Aqeedah. Maybe I can find an ayah of Aqeedah; but I didn't find the word Aqeedah in the Qur'aan... If this word was really important it would have been in the Qur'aan"

It becomes clear from this speech of his that this unfortunate person neither knows Arabic, nor knows Deen. But he does know how to speak.

1. Amongst the English speaking common people, Nouman Ali Khan is held as a Mufassir of the Qur'aan. We ask him, is “Tafseer” mentioned in the Qur'aan? So then what is Mr Nouman up to? Have the words “Sunnah” and “Hadeeth” come in the Qur'aan with the meaning of ahadeeth of the Messenger sallAllaahu alaihi wa sallam? So are we not to take hadeeth then?

2. This lady told him that "people do a lot of shirk because they don't know the correct Aqeedah". Despite this Nouman Ali Khan doesn't see the subject of tawheed as important.
    I (Shaikh RK Noor) don't know which Islam you give people da'wah to? If saving oneself and others from shirk in Allah's worship is not Islam then which Islam is it? Islam's second name is Tawheed. The purpose of revelation of the Qur'aan and all the Heavenly Books and the sending of the Noble Prophets is the Tawheed of Allaah ta'alaa and safety from Shirk.

This makes it clear that Nouman Ali Khan is unable to recognise the da'wah of the Prophets. Because every Prophet's da'wah has been to worship Allah alone (Surah Anbiya Ayah 21)

3. Even though the word “Aqeedah” itself is not in the Quran, three words derived from its root word are:

١ - العقود (ٱوفوا بالعقود) المائده - ١
    ٢ - عقدت (وَالَّذِينَ عَقَدَتْ أَيْمَانُكُمْ) النساء - ٣٣
    ٣ - عقدتم (وَلَٰكِن يُؤَاخِذُكُم بِمَا عَقَّدتُّمُ الْأَيْمَانَ) المائدة- ٨٩

In these three words the meaning of firmness is found which is contained in the technical meaning of the word Aqeedah. Namely those fundamental things which a person has complete certainty and faith in.

In respect of the technical meaning of Aqeedah it has come as a word in the hadith (يعتقد) in Sunan Darimi no 229, there is an authentic narration from Zaid bin Thaabit radhiyAllaahu anhu that “Whichever Muslim holds the Aqeedah of three things in his heart will definitely enter paradise...”

4. In the noble Quran the word Imaan has been used with the meaning of Aqeedah which Nouman Ali Khan himself admits to, in his talk, when he says 'nobody has taught Imaan better than the prophets, Imaan or Aqeedah.'

This clearly shows that Nouman Ali Khan knows that Aqeedah means Imaan, despite this due to partisanship and hatred for the Salafi Manhaj he could not even tolerate the word Aqeedah.

5. Tawheed ar Ruboobiyyah, Tawheed al Uloohiyyah and Tawheed ul Asmaa was Sifaat are categorised in this way to help to understand Tawheed. This is due to the fact that people generally understand Tawheed to only mean Ruboobiyyah. However even the kuffaar of the Quraish accepted Allaah as their Rabb. And this categorisation has been taken from the Quran itself and not from any other book.

However Mr Nouman is so biased that he could not even bring himself to look at the book that this lady had told him about, so that he could examine it to see whether it speaks in the light of the Quran and hadith or without evidence.

I don't know if the al Bayyinah institute which he founded and whose logo he wears on his collar even understands the meaning of this word or not.

6. Mr Nouman Ali Khan claims to want to stay away from the discussion about the sects whereas the Quran orders to follow the straight path and to stay away from sectarianism, see Surah al An'aam ayah 2.

Number 4: Nouman Ali Khan is an admirer and supporter of Molana Tariq Jamil, the Sufi. And it is known about Tariq Jamil that he is a Sufi personality. The Salaf taught us that if a person of innovation's bidah is not becoming clear to us, then at the very least his companionship is not hidden, because the companionship of ahlul bidah is with the ulama of ahlul bidah not with the ulama of ahlul haq.

Therefore salafi brothers and sisters are requested to keep far away from such people and instead take benefit from the ulama of the truth such as Allaamah Shaikh bin Baaz, Shaikh Albaani, Shaikh ibn Uthaymeen rahimahumullaah, and Shaikh Saalih al Fawzaan and Shaikh Abdul Muhsin al Abaad hafidhahumallaah and their likes, so they can be guided to the true deen.

May Allaah allow us all to be steadfast upon the truth.

Written by Dr. R.K. Noor Muhammad Umari Madani
Vice President, Jamiat Ahlul Hadith, Tamil Nadu India

Footnote

[1] Shaikh Dr. R.K.Noor Mohammad was born in Pallikonda, Vellore District, Tamil Nadu. He Completed a Aalim Fazil in Jamia Darussalam, B.A. (Adeeb Fazil) from Madras University, 1985.

B.A. (Hadith) from College of Hadith, Madinah University, 1991, M.A. (Hadith) from College of Hadith, Madinah University, 1996, Gold Medal (Madinah Award),Ph D., (Hadith) from College of Hadith, Madinah University, 2002, Gold Medal (Madinah Award), Attended several workshops including Da’wah Training in Madinah University, 1991 & Da’wah Traning Programme in IRF Mumbai,2003.

Shaykh Dr.R.K.Noor Mohammad is All India Gen. Secretary, Jami’yat Ahle-Hadees Hind and President, Jamiyat Ahle Hadees TN & Pondy. and Vice President, IRGC, Chennai.

He has also presented Islamic programs for many years on PeaceTV URDU and filming material for Studio Islam.

Return to “Refutations”