Imaam With A Beautiful Voice That Motivates The Worshippers

Author: Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (rahimahullaah)

Source: Kitaab ad-Da’wah 5, 2/107

Published: Sunday 26th July, 2015

Question: We are in charge of a large number of students in their residences, and we have devised a special program for them to raise their Islaamic awareness. This includes inviting one of the Imaams of the mosques in the city who is known for his beautiful voice, to lead them in Fajr prayer, hoping that this will motivate them with the Qur’aan. Please note that the regular Imaam of the mosque has agreed to this. What is the shar’i ruling on this?

Answer: Praise be to Allaah.

What I think is that there is nothing wrong with that, because the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) listened to the recitation of Aboo Moosaa al-Ash’aree (رضي الله عنه‎) and liked it, and said to him,

“You have been given a beautiful voice like that of Daawood.” He [Abu Moosaa] asked, “Were you listening to that, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “Yes.” He said, “If I had known that you were listening I would have tried to make it more beautiful for you.” [Muslim, Salaatul-Musaafireen, 793]

So if this Imaam has a beautiful voice and recites well, and that will motivate these students, then there is nothing wrong with that, especially since the regular Imaam has given permission for that. The regular Imaam is to be thanked for giving his permission as that serves an interest.

Return to “Worship”