Kutub is the plural of Kitab which means Maktoob (written). (The Legal) meaning that is intended in this chapter is:
The Books which Allaah has sent down unto His Messengers as a Mercy and Guidance to mankind so that they may utilize to achieve their happiness in this life and in the hereafter.
The Belief In The Books Includes Four Matters:
- First: To believe that the descent of the Books is truly from Allaah.
- Second: To believe in the Books whose names we know, each according to its name, like Al-Qur’aan which was sent down unto Muhammad (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhe wa sallam), At-Tawraat which was revealed to Moosaa (alayhis-salaam), the Injeel which was brought down to ‘Eesaa (alayhis-salaam), and Az-Zaboor which was given to Daawood (alayhis-salaam). As to those Books which we don’t know their names, we believe in them on the whole.
- Third: To attest to their authentic information like the news told in the Qur’aan and (or) in the old Scriptures as long as they are not altered or changed.
- Fourth: Acting upon its un-abrogated statutes, accepting and submitting to them whether we realize the wisdom behind them or we don’t. All of the old Scriptures are abrogated by the Great Qur’aan. Allaah (Ta’aalaa) said:
“And We have sent down to you the Book in truth confirming the Scripture that came before it and Muhayminan (trustworthy in highness and a witness) over it (old Scriptures).”  [Qur’aan 5:48]
The Qur’aan, therefore, is a Judge over all the old Scriptures and accordingly it is forbidden to act upon any of the statutes of the old Scriptures except what is authentic and acknowledged by the Qur’aan.
The Belief In The Books Yields Great Benefits, Including:
- First: Acknowledging Allaah’s concern for His creation whereby He sent to every nation a Book to guide through it.
- Second: To recognize the Wisdom of Allaah in His Shar’a (Judicial Laws) whereby He Legislated for each nation what suits its conditions, as Allaah (Ta’aalaa) said:
“To each among you, We have prescribed a Law and a clear way.” [Qur’aan 5:58]
- Third: To be grateful for Allaah’s Favour of sending down His Books of Revelation.
 Muhayminan: Testifies the truth that is therein and falsifies the falsehood that is added therein.