The Virtues of Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (رضي الله عنه‎)

Published: Sunday 2nd August, 2015

Awareness of the Companions of Umar's (رضي الله عنه‎) Position Among Them

It was generally known among the Companions that the first among them was Abu Bakr (رضي الله عنه‎) followed by Umar (رضي الله عنه‎) followed by Uthmaan ibn Affaan (رضي الله عنه‎). Ibn Umar (radi-Allaahu 'anhumaa) reports in a Saheeh hadeeth:

"During the time of the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم), we never equated anyone with Abu Bakr then Umar then Uthmaan. We left the remainder of the Companions of the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) and never made comparisons between them." [Abu Daawood - Saheeh]

Great Respect of the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) for Umar (رضي الله عنه‎)

The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said:

"While I was sleeping I saw myself in paradise. Then there was a woman making wudhuu by the side of a palace. I said: 'Whose is this palace?'. They said: 'It is Umar's.' I remembered the jealousy of Umar and I turned to leave. Then, Umar cried and said: 'Could I be jealous over you, Messenger of Allaah?!'" [Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

The Eemaan of Umar (رضي الله عنه‎)

The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) taught us that to a true believer Allaah and His Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم) are more beloved than all else, including ones own self/life. Abdullaah ibn Hisham (رضي الله عنه‎) reports:

"We were with the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) and he took the hand of Umar ibn Al-Khattab. Umar said to the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم): 'O Allaah's Messenger, you are dearer to me than all else except for myself.' The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said to him: 'No, by the One in whose hand my soul is not until I am dearer to you than even your self.' Umar said: 'Now, by Allaah, you are dearer to me than my own self.' The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said: 'Now, O Umar.'" [Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

Umar's (رضي الله عنه‎) Deen

The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) bore witness to the superiority of Umar ibn Al-Khattab (رضي الله عنه‎) in his deen, saying:

"While I was sleeping, I saw the people being presented to me. Each of them was wearing a shirt. Some reached to their breast and some reached farther than that. Then Umar was shown to me with his shirt reaching all the way to the ground." They asked: "How do you interpret it, Allaah's Messenger?" He said: "Ad-deen (practice)" [Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

Umar's (رضي الله عنه‎) Knowledge

Umar (رضي الله عنه‎) was among the very few most knowledgeable of the Companions coming only after Abu Bakr (رضي الله عنه‎). He took his knowledge straight from Allaah's Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم), who bore witness to Umar's (رضي الله عنه‎) position and his knowledge. Those who accuse Umar (رضي الله عنه‎) and others of betraying Islaam, "stealing" the Caliphate, etc. should fear Allaah in giving the lie to the clear testimony of Allaah's Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم) himself.

"While sleeping, I drank - meaning milk - until I saw springs coming from my fingernails. Then, I gave Umar some to drink." They said: "How do you interpret it, Allaah's Messenger?" He said: "Knowledge." [Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

Umar's (رضي الله عنه‎) Power and Personal Strength

Umar (رضي الله عنه‎) was a person of great individual strength and fortitude. He was one of the two 'Umars' which the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) asked Allaah to bless Islaam with before he had become Muslim.

"While sleeping, I saw myself at a well on which there was a water bucket. I took from the well the amount which Allaah wished. Then, Abu Bakr took the bucket and took out a bucket or two and in his drawing of water was weakness - and Allaah forgave him his weakness. Then it (the bucket) was transformed into a huge barrel. Umar took this barrel and began drawing water. I never saw any leader among the people who could pull the water like Umar ibn Al-Khattab until the people sent their camels to their pens." [Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

The meaning of "sent their camels to their pens" is that that the people got all the water they needed for themselves and for all of their animals until their camels were fully loaded with water.

Umar's (رضي الله عنه‎) Inspirations

"There were among those who came before you individuals spoken to. If anyone among my nation is one of these, it is surely Umar." [Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree]

Those "spoken to" means individuals who, while not prophets, receive inspirations which match or foretell the actual Communication from Allaah received by the prophet of their time. These people do not have the status of the prophets, and their ideas or inspirations are of no use or validity until confirmed by the actual Communication. In the absence of a prophet, this is one of the greatest gifts which an imaam or scholar of fiqh can possess. The texts and other scholars can define the perimeter within which the truth must lie, but a great individual such as Umar (رضي الله عنه‎) has the added advantage of their gift of "instinct" or inspiration which leads them in the right direction.

Any claim of inspiration, dreams, etc. which is at odds with the evidence, whether during the time of a prophet or not, is falsehood and is from Shaytaan regardless of the apparent knowledge, station or good works of the individual involved.

In a different version of the above hadeeth the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said:

"There were among those who came before you among the Jews men who were spoken to without being prophets. If there are any such among my nation, it is Umar." [Muslim]

"Allaah has placed the truth on the tongue of Umar and on his heart." [Tirmidhee]

Return to “The Companions”