The Prophet's Prayer [صلى الله علیه وسلم] Described

Author: Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albaanee

Published: Friday 22nd January, 2016

Appendix 6

Analysis Of The Ahaadeeth Regarding The Saying Of 'Ameen' By The Imaam And The Congregation

From: Silsilah al-Ahaadeeth ad-Da`eefah (951-2) by Shaykh al-Albaanee

1. "When he said aameen, those behind him would say aameen, such that there was a lot of noise in the mosque."

There is no basis for the hadeeth with this wording as far as we know. Ibn Hajr said in Talkhees al-Habeer (p. 90),

"I do not find it with this wording, but its meaning is related by Ibn Maajah in the hadeeth of Bishr ibn Raafi`":

2. "When he recited `Not of those who received Your anger, nor of those who go astray', he said `aameen', such that those close to him in the first row could hear [and the mosque trembled with it]."

Da`eef (Weak). Related by Ibn Maajah (1/281) & Abu Dawood without the addition (1/148), both via:

Bishr ibn Raafi` from Abu `Abdullaah, cousin of Abu Hurairah, from Abu Hurairah from the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم).

Ibn Hajar said in Talkhees (p. 90),

"Bishr ibn Raafi` is weak; the cousin of Abu Hurairah has been said to be unknown, but Ibn Hibbaan has declared him reliable."

Boosayri said in Zawaa'id (56/1),

"This is a weak isnaad; Abu `Abdullaah's condition is not known; Bishr was declared weak by Ahmad, and Ibn Hibbaan said, 'He narrated fabrications'."

Hadeeth no. 2 only gives a part of the meaning of no. 1, i.e. the saying of aameen by the imaam alone. As for the aameen of those behind, this could be the reason for the phrase "the mosque trembled with it (the sound)", but the hadeeth literally implies that the aameen of the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) was the reason for this.

3. "When he finished reciting the Mother of the Qur'aan, he raised his voice and said `aameen'."

Da`eef (Weak). Related by Daaraqutni, Haakim & Baihaqi.

All the above sources contain Ishaaq ibn Ibraaheem ibn al-`Alaa' az-Zubaidi, also known as Ibn Zibreeq, who is weak:

• Abu Haatim said, "An old man, no harm in him";
    • Ibn Ma`een described him in good terms;
    • Nasaa'i said, "Not reliable";
    • Muhammad ibn `Awf said, "I have no doubt that Ishaaq ibn Zibreeq used to lie."
    • However, this wording is correct in meaning, for it has a supporting hadeeth of Waa'il ibn Hajar with a saheeh sanad.

(Since the text of this hadeeth does not imply the aameen of the congregation at all, it is incorrect to regard it as another version of hadeeth no. 2, as Shawkaani did.)

The only support for no. 1 is what Shaafi`i related in his Musnad (1/76) via Muslim ibn Khaalid from Ibn Juraij from `Ataa', who said:

4. "I used to hear the imaams: Ibn az-Zubair and others after him would say 'aameen', and those behind would say `aameen', until the mosque echoed."

This has two defects:

1. The weakness of Muslim ibn Khaalid az-Zanji; Ibn Hajar said, "He was truthful, but made many errors."
    2. The `an`anah of Ibn Juraij, who was a mudallis; perhaps he actually took it from Khaalid ibn Abi Anoof, who narrated it from `Ataa' as follows:

4.1 - "I came across two hundred Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله علیه وسلم) in this mosque (i.e. Masjid al-Haraam, Makkah): when the imaam had said `Nor of those who go astray', they raised their voices in aameen (in one narration: I heard the thundering sound of their aameen)."

Related by Baihaqi (2/59) & Ibn Hibbaan in Thiqaat (2/74); the alternative narration is from the former.

This Khaalid was described by Ibn Abi Haatim (1/2/355-6), but he did not include any authentication or disparagement. Ibn Hibbaan included him among the reliable narrators, but Ibn Hibbaan is well-known to be far from rigorous in such cases, so I am not satisfied that this narration is authentic. This is because if Ibn Juraij indeed took it from him, this constitutes only one debatable route; if not, we do not know from whom Ibn Juraij took it. It seems that Imaam Shaafi`i himself was not satisfied of the authenticity of this narration, for his position is contrary to it: he says in al-Umm (1/95),

"So when the imaam completes reciting the Mother of the Book, he says 'aameen', raising his voice so that those behind may follow him: when he says it, they say it to themselves, but I do not like them saying it aloud."

Had the above narration from the Companions been authentic in Shaafi`i's view, he would not have opposed their action.

Hence, the most correct opinion in this issue appears to be the madhhab of Shaafi`i: that the imaam, but not those following, should say `aameen' loudly. Allaah knows best.

But then, I saw that Bukhaari mentioned the text (only) of the narration about Ibn az-Zubair in his Saheeh (i.e. in mu`allaq form), designating it with certainty. Ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari (2/208),

"The connecting isnaad has been provided by `Abd ar-Razzaaq from Ibn Juraij from `Ataa'. He (i.e. Ibn Juraij) said, `I said to him, "Did Ibn az-Zubair say aameen at the end of the Mother of the Qur'aan?" He said, "Yes, and those behind him also said aameen, until the mosque echoed." He then said, "Verily, aameen is a supplication".'" This is found in the Musannaf of `Abd ar-Razzaaq (2640/2), and from this route, in Ibn Hazm's al-Muhallaa (3/364).

In this narration, Ibn Juraij has clarified that he took the narration from `Ataa' face-to-face, so we are assured of the absence of tadlees, and the narration of Ibn az-Zubair is established firmly. Similarly is proven from Abu Hurairah; Abu Raafi` said:

5. "Abu Hurairah used to call to prayer for Marwaan ibn al-Hakam, stipulating that the latter would not get to `Nor of those who go astray' unless he knew that Abu Hurairah had entered the row. So when Marwaan said `Nor of those who go astray', Abu Hurairah would say `aameen', prolonging it. He also said, `When the aameen of those on the earth coincides with the aameen of those in the heaven, they are forgiven'."

Related by Baihaqi (2/59); its isnaad is saheeh.

Hence, since nothing is established from any of the Companions other than Abu Hurairah and Ibn az-Zubair contrary to their aameen aloud, this must be accepted. Presently, I know of no narration opposing this. Allaah knows best.

Return to “Worship”