The Prophet's Prayer [صلى الله علیه وسلم] Described

Author: Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen al-Albaanee

Published: Friday 22nd January, 2016

Appendix 2

The Authentic Hadeeth: "You Are Right In Some Of It And Wrong In Some Of It."

From: Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Book of Dreams, English translation of the meanings by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

Narrated Ibn `Abbaas (رضي الله عنه‎):

A man came to Allaah's Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم) and said,

"I saw in a dream, a cloud having shade. Butter and honey were dropping from it and I saw the people gathering it in their hands, some gathering much and some little. And behold, there was a rope extending from the earth to the sky, and I saw that you held it and went up; then, another man held it and went up and (after that) another (third) man held it and went up, and then another (fourth) man held it, but it broke and then got connected again."

Abu Bakr said, "O Allaah's Messenger! Let my father be sacrificed for you! By Allaah, allow me to interpret this dream."

The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said to him, "Interpret it."

Abu Bakr said, "The cloud with shade symbolises Islaam, and the butter and the honey dropping from it symbolises the Qur'aan, it's sweetness and some people learning much of the Qur'aan while some a little. The rope which is extended from the sky to the earth is the Truth which you (the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم)) are following. You follow it and Allaah will raise you high with it, and then another person will follow it and will rise up with it and then another man will follow it but it will break and then it will be connected for him and he will rise up with it. O Allaah's Messenger! Let my father be sacrificed for you! Am I right or wrong?"

The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) replied, "You are right in some of it and wrong in some of it."

Abu Bakr said, "O Allaah's Prophet! By Allaah, you must tell me in what I was wrong."

The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said, "Do not swear."

Related by Bukhaari and Muslim, and also by Abu Daawood, Tirmidhi, Daarimi, Ibn Maajah, Ibn Abi Shaibah and Ahmad.

Return to “Worship”