Fasting and Its Rulings

Author: Shaykh Abu Haatim Usaamah Ibn ‘Abdil-Lateef Al-Qoosee

Source: Al-Manhaj
Translator: Abu Maryam Isma'eel Alarcon

Published: Monday 3rd August, 2015

Introduction

Verily, all praise is due to Allaah, we praise Him, we ask for His help and we seek His forgiveness. And we seek refuge in Allaah from the evils within ourselves and the evils of our actions. Whomsoever Allaah guides, there is no one that can lead him astray. And whomsoever is led astray, there is no one that can guide him. I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allaah – He is alone and with no partner. And I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and His messenger.

As to what proceeds: Fasting is one of the aspects of worship that is done entirely for Allaah, in which a Muslim responds to the rulings of his Lord – the One, the Only – by abstaining from food, drink and sexual intercourse with his wife during the day of his fast, believing that this abstaining is obedience to Allaah. So he renews his covenant with Allaah through this fast, confirming that the only reason for his existence in this life is to actualize complete servitude to the One who created him and all that exists – the One who says in His Book:

“I have not created the Jinn and Mankind except that they should worship Me.” [Surah Adh-Dhaariyaat: 56]

This is the absolute servitude with its complete and comprehensive understanding, which is displayed in the servant’s responding to the Way of his Lord and the Laws of his Creator in every small and big matter from the affairs of his life, whether in knowledge (belief) or action (sayings and doings). Allaah says:

“Say: ‘Verily, my prayer, my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allaah, Lord of the worlds. He has no partner. And that was what I was commanded (with) and I am the first of the Muslims.’” [Surah Al-An’aam: 162-163]

This servitude – with the previously mentioned understanding – is seen at times in the prostration of the person praying, and at times it is seen in the hunger and thirst of the one fasting. It is seen at times in the supplication of a distressed person when he turns away from calling the people, towards calling Allaah. At other times, it is seen when the pilgrim, making Hajj, throws pebbles in one of the stations of (Hajj) and in a woman’s covering of her body and adornment. And sometimes it is seen in the consummation of the marriage between a young Muslim male and female, so that it could be a means for lowering their gazes and protecting their private parts. And at times it is seen in the Islamic punishment that is established by the ruler on a person that has committed adultery or theft. It is seen when someone removes an obstacle from the road or when a man who has money, which he is obligated to pay Zakaat on, gives his due Zakaat. It is seen at times when the wife obeys her husband and behaves well with him, and at times in the obedience and good treatment of a child to his parents. And sometimes it is seen in showing compassion and affection to an orphan, and at times it is seen in giving water to a thirsty dog, etc.

Indeed these things show the greatness of this Religion, which many, many people are ignorant about:

“This is the (true) straight Religion, but most men know not” [Surah Yusuf: 40]

With this understanding and from this description of greatness, I will extend my humble words on fasting and its rulings, hoping that Allaah accepts it and that the Muslims answer to it (by acting on it) as well as benefit from it. And I ask Allaah that he rectify the conditions of the Muslims by it and that He return them to the truth. Indeed Allaah has power over that and is able to do it. I put my trust in Him and to Him I repent.

Return to “Fasting”