The Book of Knowledge

Author: al-Imaam, al-Haafidh Abu Khaithama Zuhair Ibn Harb An-Nasaa’ee [Died 234H]

Source: Checking and Notes: Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee
Translator: Abu Maryam Isma’eel Alarcon

Published: Monday 27th July, 2015

The Text of the Book [continued]

Points 127 - 168:

1. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Isma'eel Ibn 'Abd-il-Kareem reported to us, saying: 'Abd-us-Samad Ibn Ma'qal narrated to me, saying: I heard Wahb say:

"The foolish one will never be from the wise nor will the fornicators ever inherit the kingdoms of heaven."

2. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Isma'eel Ibn 'Abd-il-Kareem reported to us, saying: 'Abd-us-Samad Ibn Ma'qal narrated to me, saying: I heard Wahb say:

"'Ikrimah arrived at Al-Janad, [1] so Taawoos presented him with a handsome gift of sixty deenars. It was then said to him: 'What will this servant (of Allaah) do with sixty deenars.?' So he said: 'Did you not see that I purchased the knowledge of Ibn 'Abbaas (رضي الله عنه‎) for 'Abdullaah the son of Taawoos (i.e. his own son) for sixty deenars?'"

3. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: 'Abd-ur-Rahmaan reported to us from Sufyaan from Naseer (Ibn Da’alooq) that he said:

“Whenever some people would approach Rabee’ Ibn Khaitham (to ask him questions), he would say: ‘I seek refuge in Allaah from your evil.’”

4. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us from Sufyaan from Abu Haseen from Abu ‘Abd-ir-Rahmaan that he said:

“Once ‘Alee passed by a man who was narrating hadeeth, so he said to him: ‘Do you know that which abrogates from that which is abrogated?’ The man said: ‘No.’ So he said: ‘You are ruined and ruining others.’” [2]

5. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Qabeesa Ibn 'Aqbah reported to us, saying: Sufyaan Ibn Sa'eed reported to us from Abu Hiseen that he said:

“I went to Ibraaheem in order to ask him about an issue, so he said: ‘Was there not between me and you someone else besides me, that you may have asked him instead?’”

6. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Yazeed Ibn Haaroon reported to us, saying: Al-Mas'oodee reported to us from Al-Qaasim Ibn 'Abd-ir-Rahmaan that he said: 'Abdullaah [Ibn Mas'ood] said:

"I truly believe that a man forgets some knowledge that he used to know due to some sin he committed."

7. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Muhammad Ibn 'Abdillaah Al-Ansaaree reported to us, saying: Muhammad Ibn 'Amr Ibn 'Alqamah reported to us, saying: Abu Salamah reported to us on the authority of Ibn ‘Abbaas (رضي الله عنه‎) that he said:

“I found most of the knowledge of Allaah’s Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم) with this small group of the Ansaar. I would take a siesta by the door of one of them and if I had wanted that he grant me permission to enter, he would have done so. However, I desired by doing that (remaining outside) to get his good pleasure.” [3]

8. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Muhammad Ibn 'Abdillaah reported to us, saying: Ibn 'Awn reported to us, saying:

"Al-Qaasim Ibn Muhammad, Ibn Sireen and Rajaa Ibn Haiwah used to narrate hadeeth by stating their exact wordings, while Al-Hasan, Ibraaheem and Ash-Sha'bee used to narrate them by stating (only) their meanings."

9. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Muhammad Ibn 'Abdillaah reported to us, saying: Ibn 'Awn reported to us, saying:

"I entered in the presence of Ibraaheem. Then Hamaad [4] entered in his presence and began asking him questions while he had pages with him in which were recorded the first parts of (different) ahaadeeth. So he (Ibraaheem) said: 'What is that?' He (Hamaad) said: 'It is only atraaf (first few words of different ahaadeeth).' So he said: 'Did I not forbid you from doing this?'"

10. On the authority [5] of Jareer who reported from Mansoor from Ibraaheem (An-Nakha'ee) that he said:

“There is no harm in recording the first portions of the hadeeth (atraaf).”

11. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Mu'aadh reported to us, saying: 'Imraan reported to us from Abu Mujliz from Basheer Ibn Naheek that he said:

“I used to record hadeeth from Abu Hurairah. When I decided to organize them, I brought the records to him and asked him: ‘Did I hear this from you?’ And he would say: ‘Yes.’”

12. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Mu'aadh reported to us, saying: Ash’ath reported to us from Al-Hasan that he said: The Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said:

“It is from truthfulness that a man acquire knowledge, then act upon it, then teach it.” Al-Ash’ath said: “Do you not see that he (صلى الله علیه وسلم) has begun with knowledge before action.”

13. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Isma'eel Ibn Ibraaheem reported to us from Ayyoob that he said: I heard Al-Qaasim Ibn Muhammad say:

“Indeed (one day) you will ask me concerning that which I have no knowledge of. So I swear by Allaah that if I do have knowledge of it, I will not conceal it nor will I allow for it to be concealed (by others).”

14. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Muhammad Ibn Mus'ab [6] reported to us, saying: Al-Awzaa’ee reported to us from Abu Katheer that he said: I heard Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه‎) say:

"Indeed Abu Hurairah does not conceal (knowledge) nor does he dictate (so that others write his words)."

15. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Laith [7] from Mujaahid on the authority of Ibn 'Abbaas – I think he raised it to (the saying of) the Prophet – that he said:

"There are two types of greedy people, each of whose greed will not come to an end: One who is greedy with regard to seeking knowledge. His greed will not come to an end. And one who is greedy with regard to seeking after worldly matters. His greed will not come to an end."

16. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Laith from 'Ataa that he said: Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

"Whosoever conceals knowledge of which benefit is derived from, he will be suppressed by a bridle made of Fire." [8]

17. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Laith from Yahyaa that ‘Alee (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

“Shall I not inform you of the true faqeeh (one with understanding of the Religion)? (He is) the one who doesn’t cause the people to despair from the mercy of Allaah nor does he allow an individual to commit disobedience to Allaah nor does he leave off the Qur’aan, turning toward something other than it. Indeed, there is no good in any act of worship that has no knowledge in it. Nor is there any good in knowledge that does not have understanding to it. Nor is there any good in reciting the Qur’aan if there is no tadabbur (reflecting on its meaning) to go along with it.”

18. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Laith from Mujaahid on the authority of Ibn ‘Umar (رضي الله عنهما) that he said:

“O people! Do not ask about concerning that which can never happen. For indeed ‘Umar (رضي الله عنه‎) used to curse the one who would ask concerning things that could never happen.”

19. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Hushaim reported to us from [Isma'eel Ibn] Saalim from Habeeb Ibn Abee Thaabit that he said:

“It is from the Sunnah that when a man narrated hadeeth to a people, they would all face him and not one (from among them) would give his attention to the other.”

20. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us from Abu Keeraan [9] that he said: I heard Ash-Sha’bee say:

“If you hear anything, then write it down, even if you have to write it on a wall.”

21. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us, saying: Ubay reported to us from ‘Abdullaah Ibn Hanash that he said:

“I have indeed seen them (people) writing on their palms with stalk reeds in the presence of Al-Baraa’ (رضي الله عنه‎).”

22. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us, saying: 'Ikrimah Ibn 'Amaar reported from Yahyaa Ibn Abee Katheer on the authority of Ibn ‘Abbaas (رضي الله عنه‎) that he said:

“Take hold of knowledge by writing and taking notes. Who will buy knowledge from me for a dirham?”

23. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us, saying: Al-Mundhir Ibn Tha'alaba narrated to me from 'Ilbaa [10] that he said: ‘Alee (رضي الله عنه‎) said:

“Who will buy knowledge from me for a dirham?” Abu Khaithama said: “He means by this: "Buy a piece of paper so that knowledge can be written down on it.”

24. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us from Ibn 'Awn on the authority of Muhammad (Ibn Sireen) that he said:

“I asked ‘Ubaidah: ‘Shall I write all that I hear?’ He said: ‘No.’ I said: ‘If I find writings (notes), shall I read it?’ He said: ‘No.’”

25. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us from Shareek that he said:

"I heard a shaikh (and then I described him, so they said that he was Abu Damurah) [11] say: 'I saw Hamaad writing in the presence of Ibraaheem who was wearing a garment from Anbijaan and saying: 'By Allaah, we do not desire the worldly life by this (garment).'"

26. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us, saying: Al-Hakam Ibn ‘Atiyyah reported to us, saying: (Muhammad) Ibn Sireen said:

“They used to hold the opinion that the Children of Israa’eel were only misguided because of the writings that were passed down to them.”

27. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us from Talha Ibn Yahyaa on the authority of Abu Burdah that he said:

"I wrote a book on the authority of my father from what he disclosed to me (i.e. he compiled a book from hadeeth reported to him by his father). So he called for a wash basin, placed my books in it and washed them (i.e. erased what was in them)."

28. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Wakee' reported to us from 'Imraan Ibn Hudair [12] from Abu Mujliz on the authority of Basheer Ibn Naheek that he said:

"I recorded a collection (of hadeeth) from Abu Hurairah. Then when I desired to part from him, I said 'O Abu Hurairah! I recorded a book (of hadeeth) from you, so shall I narrate them on your authority.' He said: 'Yes, narrate on my authority.'"

29. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Mugheerah from Ibraaheem that he said: ‘Abdullaah (Ibn Mas'ood) said:

“Indeed, you will never cease to be upon good so long as the knowledge remains with the elders. For when the knowledge is with the youth, the one who is older in age while reject learning from the youth out of pride.”

30. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Al-Fadl Ibn Dukeen reported to us, saying: Al-A'amash reported to us from Ibraaheem on the authority of ‘Alqamah that he said:

“Whatever I heard as a youth, it is as if I am looking at it written on a piece or a sheet of paper (right
    now).”

31. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: 'Abd-ur-Rahmaan Ibn Mahdee reported to us from 'Abdul-'Azeez Ibn Abee Rawwaad on the authority of 'Abdullaah Ibn 'Ubaid [13] that he said:

"Knowledge is the goal of the believer. Every time he attains some aspect from it, he embraces and takes hold of it, and (then) seeks after another goal."

32. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Mansoor from Ibraaheem (An-Nakha’ee) that he said:

"They (the Salaf) used to hate that people would walk behind them."

33. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Mansoor from Ibraaheem (An-Nakha'ee) that he said:

“They (the Sahaabah) would gather together and remind one another of knowledge and goodness. Then they would depart and separate from one another. And they would not ask forgiveness for one another (upon departing) nor would they say: ‘O such and such person, make du’aa (supplication) for me.’” [14]

34. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: 'Abd-ur-Rahmaan reported to us from Sufyaan from Mansoor from Ibraaheem (An-Nakha'ee) that he said:

“They (the Sahaabah) would hate the recording (of hadeeth) [as opposed to memorizing].”

35. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Mansoor on the authority of Ibraaheem that he said:

“There is no harm in recording the first portions of the hadeeth (atraaf).”

36. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Al-Hasan Ibn Moosaa reported to us, saying: Ibn Lahee'ah reported to us, saying: Darraaj reported to us from Ibn Hajeerah on the authority of Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه‎) that he said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله علیه وسلم) say:

"The example of one who has acquired knowledge and does not speak about it, is like the example of a man whom Allaah has given wealth, yet he does not spend from it." [15]

37. Abu Khaithama narrated to us, saying: Jareer reported to us from Mugheerah from Ibraaheem on the authority of 'Alqamah, that he said:

"Search for the mentioning of the hadeeth before it disappears."

*This completes the ahaadeeth of Abu Khaithama, all praise be to Allaah.

1. Abu Hafs Ibraaheem Al-Kitaanee Al-Muqree [16] narrated to you, saying: 'Abdullaah Ibn Muhammad Ibn 'Abd-il-'Azeez Al-Baghawee reported to us, saying: Muhammad Khalf Ibn Hushaim Al-Bazaar reported to us from Mansoor Ibn Abee Mazaahim and Muhammad Ibn Sulaimaan Al-Asadee that they said: Maalik Ibn Anas reported to us from Az-Zuhree on the authority of Anas (رضي الله عنهما) that he said:

“The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) entered Makkah while wearing a helmet on his head. When he took it off, it was said to him: ‘It is Ibn Khatal [17] and he is hanging from one of the curtains of the Ka’bah.’ So he (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said: ‘Kill him.’[18]

2. 'Abdullaah [Al-Baghawee] narrated to us, saying: Abu Nasr At-Tamaar [19] reported to us, saying: Hamaad Ibn Salamah reported to us from Qataadah on the authority of Anas (رضي الله عنه‎) that he said:

"The Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله علیه وسلم) used to say: 'O Allaah, indeed I seek refuge in you from a knowledge that does not benefit, a deed that is not risen (to You; i.e. not accepted), a heart that does not fear and a statement (supplication) that is not heard.'"

3. 'Abdullaah [Al-Baghawee] narrated to us, saying: 'Abd-ul-A'alaa Ibn Hamaad An-Nursee reported to us, saying: Hamaad Ibn Salamah reported to us from Abu 'Aasim Ibn Bahdala from Abu Saalih on the authority of ‘Aa’ishah (رضي الله عنها) that she said:

“The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) used to go out to observe the Fajr prayer, while his head (i.e. hair) would still be dripping from (having bathed due to) sexual intercourse, and not a wet dream. Then he (صلى الله علیه وسلم) would observe the fast” [20]

4. 'Abdullaah [Al-Baghawee] narrated to us, saying: Suraij Ibn Yoonus reported to us, saying: Hushaim reported to us, saying: Humayd reported to us from Anas [Ibn Maalik] (رضي الله عنهما) that he said:

The Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) said: “None of you should hope for death, for indeed each of you does not increase every day, except in good.” [21]

5. 'Abdullaah [Al-Baghawee] narrated to us, saying: Abu 'Imraan Al-Warakaanee [22] reported to us, saying: Sa'eed Ibn Maisira Al-Bakree reported to us from Anas Ibn Maalik (رضي الله عنهما) that he said:

"When the Prophet (صلى الله علیه وسلم) observed the funeral prayer (janaazah), he would say the takbeer (Allaahu Akbar) four times."

**This completes the ahaadeeth, all praise be to Allaah. And may the peace and blessings be upon His Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله علیه وسلم) and his entire family.

Footnotes

[1] This is a well-known city in Yemen.

[2] Its chain is saheeh according to the standards of the two Shaikhs. Abu 'Abd-ir-Rahmaan is 'Abdullaah Ibn Habeeb As-Sulamee. He was a Taabi'ee, reciter of the Qur'aan, reliable and trustworthy. The name of Abu Hiseen is 'Uthmaan Ibn 'Aasim Al-Asadee. He was also reliable and trustworthy. He died in the year 127H.

[3] The chain of this narration is jayyid (good). And it shows the praiseworthy manners of Ibn 'Abbaas.

[4] He is Ibn Abee Sulaymaan Al-Koofee, the Faqeeh. The Ibraaheem that is mentioned here is Ibn Yazeed An-Nakha'ee. The name of Ibn 'Awn is 'Abdullaah, and he was a famous Faqeeh (Scholar of Fiqh). All of them are reliable.

[5] This is how it was written originally contrary to the format that has been used beforehand and afterwards. The author repeats the same hadeeth again under no. 161, which will come later. And what is meant by the word atraaf, and Allaah knows best, is the first portions of hadeeth (i.e. the first words of a hadeeth), which they used to write out and by which they would remember the ahaadeeth.

[6] He is Al-Qarqisaanee, and he was honest yet committed many errors. In spite of this a group of people followed him (in narration) according to Ad-Daarimee (1/122), Al-Khateeb in Taqyeed-ul-'Ilm (pg. 42) and others. The chain of narration is saheeh when attributed to Abu Hurairah. And Abu Katheer is As-Suhaymee Al-Yamaanee Al-A'amaa.

[7] He is Ibn Abee Saleem and he is da'eef (weak) as has been stated several times previously. However, he is not alone in his narration of this hadeeth. Rather it has supporting evidences which Al-Haakim and Adh-Dhahabee have authenticated. We have discussed this hadeeth in detail in our commentary to it in Mishkaat-ul-Masaabeeh (no. 260). I will further add to it here, saying: Ad-Daarimee (1/96) reported this hadeeth from another path on the authority of Laith in mawqoof form.

[8] In mawqoof form (saying of a companion only), this narration is da'eef. It is authentic in marfoo' form from the path of 'Ataa on Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه‎). At-Tirmidhee, Ibn Hibbaan, Al-Haakim and Adh-Dhahabee have authenticated it. See (my book) Tah-dheer-ul-Masaajid (pg. 4)

[9] His name is Al-Hasan Ibn 'Uqbah Al-Muraadee. Ibn Ma'een declared him to be reliable and Abu Haatim said of him: "He was a shaikh, his hadeeth were written down." The chain of narration linked to Ash-Sha'bee is saheeh.

[10] He ('Ilbaa) is Ibn Ahmar Al-Yushkaree Al-Basree and he was a Taabi'ee of trustworthy and reliable status. Likewise, the rest of the narrators of the chain are all reliable. So it is saheeh if 'Ilbaa heard it from 'Alee, because there is no report mentioned from him on his authority.

[11] I do not know who this Abu Damurah is. As for Hamaad, then he is Ibn Abee Salmaan, the Faqeeh. And Ibraaheem here refers to Ibn Yazeed An-Nakha'ee.

[12] He is reliable, as are the rest of the narrators of the chain. Thus it is saheeh.

[13] He is Abu Haashim Al-Makkee, a Taabi'ee that is reliable. The chain of narration linked to him is saheeh.

[14] Ibraaheem, and he is (ibn Yazeed) An-Nakha'ee, may Allaah have mercy on him, means by this that it was not from the actions of the Sahaabah to supplicate for one another after the end of a class or a study session. Therefore, this is an innovation. Another thing similar to it is when the teacher (shaikh) walks ahead of his students and they walk behind him. This is because this action is from that which leads to fitnah and amazement with oneself, as is indicated in the narration mentioned before this one. And both of them (i.e. this narration and the one before it) have authentic chains of narration on the authority of Ibraaheem.

[15] This is a hasan hadeeth. Even though Ibn Lahee'ah and Darraaj are both weak, it has another path on the authority of Abu Hurairah as well as a supporting evidence on the authority of Ibn 'Umar in marfoo' form. And it is mentioned through another path on the authority of Salmaan in mawqoof form, as has been stated previously by the author under number 12.

[16] Translator’s Note: He is one of the narrator’s in the chain of narration of the book.

[17] Translator’s Note: He was a man who had accepted Islaam, but who later apostated. When he was given the task of collecting Zakaat with another Companion from the Ansaar, he killed him during the journey, apostated, and seeked shelter in Makkah.

[18] This hadeeth has an authentic chain of narration, and it is found in Al-Muwatta, and on his (Maalik's) authority in the Saheehs.

[19] He is 'Abd-ul-Malik Ibn 'Abd-il-'Azeez Al-Qushairee An-Nasaa’ee. He is reliable and from the narrators of Muslim. This goes the same for the rest of the narrators of this chain, thus it is authentic according to his (Muslim's) standards. It has been transmitted by Ahmad (3/192 & 225) through other paths on the authority of Hamaad. And it is also in (3/283) and in An-Nasaa’ee (2/316) from the path of Hafs on Anas. It is also found in Saheeh Muslim (8/72) from the hadeeth of Zayd Ibn Arqam.

[20] Its chain of narration is hasan and the hadeeth is authentic. The two Shaikhs (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim) have transmitted it through another path on the authority of 'Aa'ishah, may Allaah be pleased with her.

[21] Its chain of narration is saheeh according to the standards of the two Shaikhs. And they have both transmitted it through other paths of narration on the authority of Anas without the mention of his (صلى الله علیه وسلم) saying: "...for indeed each of you...". There is a supporting evidence for this addition (to the hadeeth) in the hadeeth of Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه‎) in marfoo' form which is found in Saheeh Muslim (7/65) and Ahmad.

[22] His name is Muhammad Ibn Ja'far Ibn Ziyaad and he is reliable. However, his shaikh, Sa'eed Ibn Maisira, is accused (of weakness). Regardless the hadeeth is saheeh. The two Shaikhs (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim) as well as others have transmitted it from the hadeeth of Abu Hurairah (رضي الله عنه‎), with different wordings and additions to it. I have gathered and checked all of them in my book Ahkaam-ul-Janaa'iz wa Bid'ihaa and it has been published by Al-Maktab-ul-Islaamee.

Return to “Narrations”