The Methodology Of The Prophet’s In Calling To Allaah - That Is The Way Of Wisdom & Intelligence

Author: Shaykh Rabee' Ibn Haadee al-Madkhalee

Source: Manhajul-Anbiyaa fid-Da’wah illAllaah feehil-Hikmah wal-’Aql
Translator: Abu Talhah Dawood Burbank (rahimahullaah)

Published: Thursday 23rd July, 2015

Appendix [324]

All praise is for Allaah alone, and may He send praises and blessings of peace upon the Messenger of Allaah, and upon his family and true followers, and his Companions and those who follow his way.

To proceed, I praise Allaah, with abundant, pure and blessed praise for every blessing which He has bestowed on me, and I give thanks to Him, the Most High, and praise and extol Him, and I cannot praise and extol Him as truly befits Him, and no-one can do so.

Then from the blessings which Allaah has bestowed on me is that He has enabled me, despite my weakness, to speak the truth openly according to my capability, whether in writing or face to face encounters, so I thank Him and praise Him with praise such as would fill the heavens and the earth and whatever is between them. I also ask that He grants me firmness upon that until I meet Him and that He is pleased with me. I further ask that He grants me increase in guidance to what is correct, and protection, and I do not forget, and all praise is for Allaah, that when my book, 'The Methodology of the Prophets in Calling to Allaah - That is the Way of Wisdom and Intellect,' was published it was accepted by the true Muslim youth in every place with joy and was greatly welcomed. This was because it made the call of the Prophets clear to them, until it became as clear as the sun in the middle of the day, and it removed confusion, distortions and the deception of some writers whose hearts were like those of devils in the form of humans those whose only concern is to gather the people around them and around their fraudulent slogans. It does not worry such people that this gathering of people should include the Raafidees (extreme Shee'ah), the hypocrites, the heretical Khawaarij, [325] the extreme Sufis who are guilty of apostasy, the ignorant and their like from the worshippers of the graves, or whichever of the wretched and unfortunate groups.

It does not worry them that this type of people rally together with them and rally to their slogans, despite the evil consequences of this in this world and the Hereafter. This is because they are as they were described by Allaah's Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم), "Callers to the gates of Hell, whoever answers their call will be thrown into it," and because they are as the sincere, truthful and trustworthy Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم) described them, "Devils in the bodies of humans." If this is not the case then what is it that causes them, and those who follow their lead, to flee from and separate themselves from the clear and radiant way and methodology of the Prophets, which is made clear by the Qur'aan and shown to be their way and their methodology?

Tawheed of Allaah with regard to this His names and attributes, tawheed of Allaah in His lordship, and tawheed of Allaah in His worship, and to disbelieve and reject everything that is worshipped besides Him - that is the pure religion. Allaah the Most High, says:

"We sent a Messenger to every nation, ordering them that they should worship Allaah alone, obey Him and make their worship purely for Him, and that they should avoid everything worshipped besides Allaah." [326]

He said:

"We did not send any Messenger before you, O Muhammad (صلى الله علیه وسلم), except that We revealed to Him that none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah - so make all of your worship purely for Allaah." [327]

Study any of the other da'wahs of the sects and parties - other than the Salafee [328] da'wah - do you see this methodology or any trace of it in their schooling, their persons, or their jamaa'aat? Then show it to me if you are truthful. As for myself I do not find in these sects and parties except that they wage a fierce war against this methodology and its people. I do not see except belittlement and mockery of this methodology and its people. I do not see except hatred and enmity for this methodology and its people, and I do not see except warm greetings and respect from them for the deviant and misguided calls and their people. Indeed you will frequently see and hear the last of these from those who disguise themselves as Salafees but are in reality closer in relation to their enemies, and there are ties and relationships between them which are such as they are known only to Allaah.

Then there are some who are passionately in love with the state of superstitions, innovations and misguidance who think- and evil are their thoughts, and evil is the lie which they invent- that Imake a separation between the religion and the State, and that I dispute about the importance of the subject of authority of sovereignty.

"What a serious word it is that comes out of their mouths! What they say is nothing but a lie" [329]

So this book displeased them and it made clear the falsity of their calls and their misrepresentation and distortion of Islaam and of the text concerning tawheed - particularly with regard to the da'wah of the Messengers, may Allaah's praise and blessings of peace be upon them. The book did not join them in welcoming the state of the Raafidee Shee'ahs. Nor did it support them in seeking establishment of statelets founded upon the building of the tombs and upon the belief that the pious who have died know the Hidden and Unseen and have some control over the creation. Nor did it support them in seeking establishment of statelets based upon any such things as have preceded, nor in accepting the misguidance and shirk of secularism which seeks to disguise itself in the guise of Islaam.

Rather the book, and all praise is for Allaah, made clear that the true and trustworthy da'wah is that which follows the methodology of the Prophets in calling to Allaah, and the state which is established upon this correct methodology - that is the Islamic state. Then despite the fact that the book was dealing with a particular topic - which was to explain the methodology of the Prophets in calling to Allaah - it still gave attention to mentioning the Islamic state which it mentioned repeatedly and emphasised a number of times. It even had a chapter headed: "The view of the scholars of Islaam concerning leadership (al-Imaamah) and their proofs of its obligation". Then the scholars sayings about that were quoted and their proofs mentioned. However what angered the people of innovations and desires, and the callers to falsehood, is that I placed leadership and the state in the place given to them by Allaah and which was accepted by the scholars of Islaam. I did not support the people of innovation and desires in their abandonment of the methodology of the Prophets in calling to tawheed, and fighting shirk, innovations and the rest of the types of misguidance and deviation, and fighting idolatry and grave-worship.

Nor did I support them in making leadership (al-Imaamah) the most important matter, and the most fundamental principle - which is something which has led people to rejection of the methodology of the Prophets and has lead them to fight against it. It has also led them to fling themselves into the arms of the Raafidee Shee'ah, and to having affection for them, and to allying themselves with them, defending them and to falsley adorning their ideology which is at war with Islaam, in opposition to the Book and the Sunnah and waging war against the Companions of Allaah's Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم) and his pure wives and the rest of the Muslims and their scholars. Indeed it goes beyond that to the point that they declare these great people to be disbelievers and make the foulest attacks against them.

I did not support them in this misguidance and this loathsome excess, so they disliked the book and thought evil about its author. So they said the falsehood which they said in order to turn the youth who thirst for the truth away from the irrefutable and clear truth in this book. This book which openly spoke the truth and placed both correct creed and belief ('aqeedah) and the state in the place given to them by Allaah - without going beyond the bounds or falling short, and without distorting and deception. Then it is essential that I explain to the youth the distinction between the state (ad-Dawlah) and the dominion and sovereignty of Allaah (al-Haakimiyyah). As for the state, then it is a gathering of people who may be disbelievers, may be misguided deviants, or may be Believers. Then the people may be gathered under a rightly- guided khilaafah, or restricted kingships- which has been the case with the Islamic states after the rightly -guided khilaafah. So these individuals who form the Believing state are no more than the means to implement the Sharee'ah of Allaah- the establishment of jihaad, the ordering of good and forbidding of evil, establishment of the Prescribed Punishments and retribution, and the protection of the ummah from the plots and aggression of the enemies against the lands of the Muslims and against their souls, their wealth and their honour. So the Muslims must establish a state to accomplish these great obligations - either : by giving the pledge of allegiance to a khaleefah whom all of the Muslims are united upon; or by the fact that an individual from the ummah gains ascendancy and has power, an army and authority - which means that the benefit of the ummah lies in accepting him as long as he proclaims Islaam, establishes the laws and the creed ('aqeedah) and protects the ummah from its enemies and does whatever is required, the details of which are known and mentioned in the source works of Islaam; or by the fact that some individuals gain ascendancy over some areas as happened in the lands of Islaam after the weakening of the khilaafah, so overall benefit necessitated submitting to this situation.

As for dominion and sovereignty then these are attributes of Allaah and qualities particular to Him alone, as He, the Most High, says:

"Judgement and command is for Allaah alone, He ordered that you should worship none but Him. That is the true and straight religion." [330]

This authority and sovereignty is not denied except by one who is a disbeliever in Allaah and is severe in his enmity to Allaah, His Messenger and His Books. Indeed one who even denies Allaah's authority in the slightest matter, not to mention with regard to fundamental matters, then he is a disbeliever in Allaah, outside the fold of Islaam if he knowingly denies that. As for the ignorant person, then he has excuse until the proof is established against him.

What I have said applies to the rulers, the ruled and to indivduals and groups (Jamaa'aat). This has been affirmed by the trustworthy scholars of Islaam, and from them Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah, rahimahullaah, [332331] and his student Ibnul-Qayyim. [332332] So whoever accepts and abides by this rule and authority in the fundamentals of the religion and its details, and in matters of creed and belief, and matters of worship, and dealings and political affairs, and economic affairs, and manners, and social affairs - then he is a Believer. But he who does not abide by it all or some of these then he is a disbeliever, whether he is an individual or a group, a ruler or one ruled, a caller or one called. Indeed I fear, by Allaah, for many of the sects, parties and individuals that they may fall into disbelief due to their not abiding by the rule and authority of Allaah with regard to the fundamentals of the religion, indeed with regard also to its details. I fear for many of them, against whom the proof has been established and to whom the truth has been made clear, yet still they persist in opposing the call to tawheed and oppose waging war against shirk and innovation, aswell as opposing its people and to cutting from them. Instead these people incite others against and warn against those who call with the call of the Prophets, and those who seek truly and sincerely to amend the affairs. After establishment of the proof against such a person he would fall into the abyss of disbelief.

Then I call all of the ummah - its rulers and its ruled, its indivduals, sects, and parties, to all have true belief in the all-encompassing authority and sovereignty of Allaah which covers the fundamental matters of the religion and its details, and that they should fully abide by it with regard to the fundamental matters of the religion and its details. I also call the heads of the states, from those who abide generally by the rule and authority of Allaah, and yet are negligent in some areas of practice, I call them to abide by it totally and unrestrictedly in every field, in the matter of 'aqeedah, and worship, and dealings, and economics, and politics, and with regard to ordering good and forbidding evil, and that they should strive to fight against shirk and innovations, and against sins and against evil - particularly usury and the rest of the major sins which harm the ummah and its manners. Indeed Allaah prevents by means of the rulers those who are not prevented by the Qur'aan. They should be fully aware that Allaah will question them about every small and large matter which they are responsible for. "Each of you is a guardian and is responsible for thoses whom he is in charge of." I also remind them of the saying of the Prophet, "There is no ruler having authority over Muslim subjects who dies while he is decieving them except that Allaah has forbidden Paradise for him." [333333] and his saying, "There is no servant whom Allaah places in authority over some people, and he does not deal with them sincerely and honestly, except that he will not find the fragrance of Paradise." [334]

From sincerity to the ummah is that you encourage them to abide by the ruler of Allaah and His Sharee'ah, by teaching them, directing them, encouraging and warning them, and by ordering the good and forbidding the evil, and by establishing prescribed punishment and using every means which will cause them to respect the Sharee'ah of Allaah in 'aqeedah, worship, political affairs and manners.

I also call the heads of state in Islamic lands who do not abide by the Sharee'ah of Allaah that they should turn back to Allaah and respect His religion which is found in the Book and the Sunnah, and that they should cling to the creed and beliefs of this religion and its rulings, and to be proud of that - since therein lies honour and nobility. However total disgrace and humiliation comes from submission to laws laid down by the most despicable humans, the enemies of this ummah whether they are Jews, Christians, Magians or atheists. So I call such leaders to respect the feelings of the ummah of Islaam which has striven and fought and sacrificed millions of its sons for the achievement of a noble and lofty goal - which is that it should be ruled by Islaam, and Islaam alone is the religion of Allaah, the Creator of this creation, the Creator of mankind and jinn so that they should worship Him alone and submit to His revealed laws alone. They should abide by the Sharee'ah of Allaah and impose it upon the ummah in creed and beliefs, in manners, in teaching and in Islamic curriculae which education and training are to be based upon.

I also enjoin the scholars of the ummah, and its callers, and parties and groups that they should sincerely advise all of the ummah, its elders and its youth, its males and its females, and unite them upon the Book of Allaah, the Sunnah of his Messenger, and upon the methodology and understanding of the Salalafu-Saalih (the Pious Predecessors), the Companions, the Taabieen and those who followed them upon good, the imaams of guidance, the scholars of fiqh, the scholars of hadeeth and of tafseer, in creed and beliefs, in worship, in manners, in dealings, in economic affairs, and all the other affairs of Islaam and eemaan. Then they should fully comprehend the Sayings of Allaah, the Most High,

"And whoever does not judge by what Allaah has revealed then they are the ones guilty of unbelief." [335]

"And whoever does not judge by what Allaah has revealed then they are the transgressors." [336]

"And whoever does not judge by what Allaah has revealed then they are the disobedient." [337]

They should understand that these Sayings of Allaah apply to all individuals, groups, rulers and subjects. So to restrict it to refer it to the rulers alone and not to the people of deviant sects and misguidance, those who do not judge by the Sharee'ah of Allaah in their creed and beliefs, nor in their worship and their behaviour, then this is from ignorance, misguidance and foolishness, since Allaah sent these Aayaat down concerning the Jews at a time when they had not had any state or authority for centuries. He sent these Aayaat down concerning them at a time when He had imposed humiliation and lowliness upon them. I have explained the authority and sovereignty of Allaah in this broad and all-embracing sense in the book itself. I should also not fail to draw attention to an error made by the author of 'Meezaanul-I'tidaal litaqyeem Kitaabil-Mawridiz-Zallaal fir-Tanbeeh 'alaa Akhtaa'iz Zilaal,' who is 'Isaam ibn Muhammad ibn Taahir al-Barqaawee, who attributed to me something which my tongue has never uttered and which I never believed, nor have I ever written such a thing. Furthermore I seek Allaah's refuge from what he said, and I declare myself free before Allaah from it, and I ask Allaah to save me and all the Muslims from it. Al-Barqaawee said in a footnote (p.15) to his aforementioned book: "This also reminds me of what Shaykh Rabee' ibn Haadee al-Madkhalee, hafizahullaahu ta'aalaa, did in his book, 'Manhajul-Anbiyaa fid-Da'wah illallaah...' when he criticised the view of al-Maududi, rahimahullaah ta'aalaa, about the importance of leadership (imaamah), khilaafah, and judging by that which Allaah sent down, since he also sought to use as evidence the saying of Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah about the position of the imaamah with the Raafidee (Shee'ahs). So he took up six pages in quoting the discussion of Shaykhul-Islaam with those Raafidee (Shee'ahs). However the numerous and great differences between the beliefs of the Raafidees concerning the imaamah and the infallibility of the Imaams, and the twelve imaams and so on, and between what al-Maududi and others call to, i.e. the necessity and importance of striving to return to judging by the Sharee'ah, through the khilaafah, and to establish a single ruler for the people of Islaam; the differences between these two are well known. Even if the words of Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah contain something which is fitting in this regard, yet most of it, if a just person were to examine it, is not fitting to this discussion, rather it applies to the matter of imaamah with the Raafidee (Shee'ah) with its well known details... so he should not have quoted it all... for fear of deception."

Al-Barqaawee's scales are unbalanced and he has not judged between myself and al-Maududi with justice, and perhaps he has forgotten the saying of Allaah:

"And weigh justly with the true balance." [338]

And His saying,

"Woe to those who give short measure to others. Those who demand full measure from others, but when they give them in measure or weight then they give them less than their due. Do these people not think that they will be ressurected for reckoning on a formidable Day. The Day when all mankind will stand before the Lord of the Worlds." [339]

O brother al-Barqaawee, I was debating the view of al-Maududi about the importance of the matter of leadership (imaamah), the khilaafah and judging by that which Allaah has sent down!

As regards the fact of their importance, then no Believer having a trace of eemaan would dispute that. But O brother you have failed to note the point of disagreement between myself and al-Maududi. I debated with the view of al-Maududi with regard to his going beyond the due limits about leadership to such an extent that no Muslim who has respect for Islaam could remain silent about this excess, and it was of such a level that even the misguided would not accept it, not to mention the people of hadeeth and the Salafees. Indeed very many scholars from his own land, from the Salafees and others have replied to him. Then this excess of his has travelled and has reached many Arab and Islamic lands, and it has fooled an overwhelming majority of authors and youth, which has led to great neglect of the 'aqeedah of tawheed, and even comtempt of it and of its people. It has also led people to treat shirk and innovation lightly and has caused al-Maududi and his like to ally themsleves with and to befriend the devotees of the graves and even the Raafidees (Shee'ah), and to gather these people under their banner, to treat them as brothers, to love and defend them and their beliefs and creed, and this is something which is a reality and is clear to everyone possessing intellect and religion. So since the matter has reached this frightful state, I replied to al-Maududi with regard to some of his excess in order to make the people in general aware, and also the people of the Arabian Peninsula, to which the followers of al-Maududi and their helpers direct their attention. So they seek to wipe away the 'aqeedah of tawheed, and the 'aqeedah of true and correct alliance and enmity (al-Walaa wal-Baraa). Do you think that my reply to al-Maududi was so unreasonable that you seek to defend his view with falsehood, and by forgetting to judge justly, to the point that you take my words to mean something which I did not say, and which they did not mean?! Listen to what al-Maududi says:

"The question of leadership is the most important matter in human life and its most fundamental principle." Then try to defend this saying with clear and unequivocal texts from the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger, and the words of the Companions and the scholars of Islaam. If you have not seen this, then you must adjust your scales in order to establish justice, equity and fairness, and to abandon the excess which has led al-Maududi and his followers to scorn the call of the Prophets and the goal of their da'wah, and to turn the affairs upside down. Listen to his saying: "The true goal of the religion is to establish the system of the rightly guided and righteous leadership (imaamah)." So to him this is the true goal of the religion. So tawheed, and the Prayer, and Zakaat, and jihaad and other matters from the religion become only means to reach this goal in the view of al-Maududi. So produce the clear proofs from the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم), in place of al-Maududi, to support this and if you are unable then do not be too embarrassed to say, 'This poor weak servant, Rabee' ibn Haadee, has spoken the truth and has been sincere towards Islaam and the Muslims, and has put matters in their due place.' Then listen to the saying of al-Maududi: "This is the purpose for which the Prayer, Fasting, the Zakaat and the Hajj have been made obligatory in Islaam. Then the fact that they are called acts of worship does not mean that they are themselves worship, rather its meaning is that they prepare mankind for the true and fundamental worship, and these are a training course which are essential for that.' He also says, 'You think that standing facing the Qiblah, placing the right hand upon the left, and rukoo' with your hands upon your knees, and prostration upon the ground, and reciting particular words, and these actions and movements are themselves worship; and you think that fasting from the start of Ramadaan until the start of Shawwaal, and going hungry and thirsty from morning until evening, you think that this is worship; and you think that reciting a number of Aayaat from the Qur'aan is worship; and you think that performing Tawaaf around the Ka'bah is worship. In summary you have called the manifestation of certain actions worship, and when a person performs these actions with their form and manners you think that he has worshipped Allaah... but the truth is that the worship which Allaah created you for, and which he ordered you to perform is something else." [340]

Are you pleased by this derisive manner about speaking about the great pillars of Islaam and those who worship in this way? These are not, in the view of al-Maududi, forms of worship for which man was created, rather the worship for which man was created and which they were ordered to fulfil is something else. O Barqaawee, do you take this as your religion before Allaah? That the forms of worship are only a training course which if applied will... etc. Is this something stated textually in the Qur'aan and the Sunnah, and which the Prophets came with and which was accepted by the best of the people of this ummah? If you agree with al-Maududi then bring the proofs to support his saying. Otherwise bite upon your knuckles in regret and grief for having deserted the truth and offended its people and helped falsehood. This, O my brother, was the subject of my debate with al-Maududi, and about which I quoted the words of Shaykhul-Islaam concerning the exceeding of the bounds by the Raafidees about leadership (imaamate). What I quoted from him was all relevant, not just a part of it as al-Barqaawee claimed. Then if you were correct, O Barqaawee, then why did you not explain what was relevant from the words of Shaykhul-Islaam and what was not? As for the claim of 'infallibility' for the 'twelve imaams,' then I did not attribute it to al-Maududi, nor did I debate about it with him, nor did I quote Shaykhul-Islaam's words about it. So your words are totaly opposed to justice! As for your equity and justice which you set up for yourself in judging between Sayyid Qutb and ad-Duwaysh, then I do not know what you have done. Indeed you have totally failed to be just between myself and al-Maududi, and how would it have harmed you to speak the truth? Then as for the khilaafah, I do not know if you read what I wrote and quoted from the scholars of Islaam, or if you merely took the subject with the tips of your fingers with your eyes closed, thinking that justice and equity would be achieved that easily. So read this and that anew and speak the truth, supporting it with proof, not alarmism and agitation!

As for judging by that which Allaah sent down, then how can you imagine that I would dispute about it with al-Maududi or anyone else, when it is something known necessarily in the religion, and not even the deviant and deviated sects dispute about it?! So I seek Allaah's refuge from what the author of 'al-Meezaan,' attributed to me. Rather read again what I wrote concerning the authority and sovereignty of Allaah, and that it comprehends every part of the religion, and you will see the extent of the mistake of al-Barqaawee, may Allah guide him. Then finally the points of criticism of al-Maududi and his like are so many that this introduction is not the place for them. But in summary, he is one of those furthest from abiding by the authority and sovereignty of Allaah with regard to his 'aqeedah and his Fiqh, and with regard to his stance on the Sunnah of Allaah's Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم), and his stance with regard to the Companions of Allaah's Messenger (صلى الله علیه وسلم), and with regard to their enemies the Raafidee Shee'ah. Indeed he and his followers have alliance and friendship with those Raafidees, they support them and they praise their Taaghoot, al-Khomeini and his students, the Aayatur-Raafidiyyah. So noble reader be aware of this, and judge the people according to the truth, and do not judge the truth according to its people, and beware of falling into the abyss of over-exaggerated respect for personalities so that it leads you to reject the truth, and to argue against its people. May Allaah guide and grant the ummah to loving the truth and its people. Indeed my Lord hears and responds to supplications.

Written by:
Rabee' ibn Haadee al-Madkhalee,
13/6/1413H.

Footnotes

[324] In the orignal Arabic print this was the "Introduction to the Second Edition."

[325] For more details on the Shee'ah and the Khawaarij refer to Ibn al Jawzee's "The Devil's Deception"

[326] Soorah an-Nahl (16):36.

[327] Soorah al-Ambiyaa (21):25.

[328] Publisher's note: One who attributes himself to the salaf. The salaf being primarily the Companions of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam), and the two generations that came after them (taabi'een and the atbaa at-taabi'een). Therefore a Salafee will always refer to the Qur'aan and Sunnah, relying on the explanation of the salaf.

[329] Soorah al-Kahf (18):5.

[330] Soorah Yoosuf (12):40.

[331] Minhaajus-Sunnah an- Nabawiyyah (3/32) where he clearly explains that one not accepting the rule and authority of Allaah is a disbeliever, and he explains how that applies in matters of knowledge and action.

[332] Madaarijus- Saalikeen (91/336).

[333] Reported by al- Bukhaaree (Eng. trans. 9/197/no.265).

[334] Al-Bukhaaree (Eng. trans. 9/197/264).

[335] Soorah al-Maa'idah (5):44.

[336] Soorah al-Maa'idah (5):45.

[337] Soorah al-Maa'idah (5):47.

[338] Soorah al-Israa (17):35.

[339] Soorah al-Mutaffifeen (83):1-6.

[340] Quoted from the book, "The book of al-Maududi, what is for it and what is against it," of Muhammad Zakariyyaa al-Kandahlaawee (pp.45-46), 2nd Edn.

Return to “The Call”