After the lesser signs of the Hour appear and increase, mankind will have reached a stage of great suffering. Then the awaited Mahdee will appear; he is the first of the greater, and clear, signs of the Hour. There will be no doubt about his existence, but this will only be clear to the knowledgeable people. The Mahdee will rule until the False Messiah (al-Maseeh ad-Dajjaal) appears, who will spread oppression and corruption. The only ones who will know him well and avoid his evil will be those who have great knowledge and Eemaan (faith).
The false Messiah will remain for a while, destroying mankind completely, and the earth will witness the greatest Fitnah (tribulation) in its history. Then the Messiah Jesus (alayhi salam) will descend, bringing justice from heaven. He will kill the Dajjaal, and there will be years of safety and security.
Then the appearance of Ya'jooj and Ma'jooj (Gog and Magog) will take mankind by surprise, and corruption will overtake them again. In answer to Jesus' faithful prayer to Allaah (subhanahu wa ta'aala), they will die, and safety, security, justice and stability will return.
This state of affairs will continue for some years, until the death of Jesus. The Ulamaa differ concerning the order in which the other greater signs of the Hour will come about. They are:
- The destruction of the Ka'bah and the recovery of its treasure.
- The rising of the sun from the west.
- The emergence of the Beast from the earth.
- The smoke.
- A wind will take the souls of the believers.
- The Qur'aan will be taken up into heaven.
- A fire will drive the people to their last gathering place.
- The Trumpet will be sounded: at the first sound everyone will feel terror; at the second sound all will be struck down; at the last sound all will be resurrected.