Magnificent Points of Advice for those who have turned to the Way of the Salaf

Author: Abu ‘Abdillaah Muhammad bin Ahmad ash-Shihhee

Source: Al-Manhaj
Translator: Abu Maryam Isma’eel Alarcon

Published: Wednesday 5th August, 2015

The First Advice: Praise And Thank Allaah For Granting You This Blessing

This is since it is indeed a tremendous blessing, which Allaah bestows on whom He wills from His servants. So act well in showing thanks for it and in using it. And remember:

How many people are there that are submerged in misconceptions? One misconception drives him to the east while another drives him to the west – he doesn’t know how to free himself from it.

And how many people are there that are immersed in vain desires, being imprisoned by them and not knowing when he will be set free?

So give thanks to Allaah, O repentant one, and know that this blessing comes from Allaah alone. You had no will or might in the matter, except due to Allaah, the Most Kind, the All Aware.

He was the One who was kind to you and guided you and did not cause you to die while you were immersed in misconceptions and vain desires. So to Him belongs the Praise in this world and in the Hereafter.

And He was the One who directed you and facilitated for you the way to those who directed you towards the methodology of the Salaf as-Saalih. So how numerous are the blessings He has bestowed upon you and me. Allaah says:

“And if you were to count the blessings of Allaah, you would never be able to account for all of them.” [Surah Ibraaheem: 34]

So beware, beware, O my brother who has repented, of falling into self-amazement and self-delusion, or of considering yourself above Allaah’s blessing. Allaah says:

“You were the same before, until Allaah bestowed His blessing on you. So clarify (to one another).” [Surah An-Nisaa: 94]

And beware, beware of ridiculing or mocking others, such as those who are afflicted with that which Allaah freed you from. Instead, praise Allaah that He saved you and did not test you with what He is testing them. And when you see one of these people who are afflicted (with misconceptions and vain desires) say:

“All praise be to Allaah who saved me from what you are being afflicted by and who blessed me over many of those whom He created.” [1]

Show compassion for them and be merciful to them. And present to them what Allaah has given you from good and guidance.

And know, may Allaah grant you success, that you must follow the means that will ensure the correctness of your repentance with seriousness, eagerness, honesty and sincerity. The first thing you should start with is:

Footnote

[1] Reported by At-Tirmidhee in his Jaami’ from the narration of Abu Hurairah, (رضي الله عنه‎). In its chain of narration is found ‘Abdullaah bin ‘Umar al-‘Umaree, who is weak. However, the hadeeth has supporting witnesses (from other narrations), which strengthen it to the grade of “hasan, due to other narrations.”

Return to “The Call”